Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

Best Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

We like chocolate covered strawberries at our house. If strawberries are on sale, or they just look particularly yummy, we take them home and dipped them.

My husband it's a big fan of coconut, so I've been experimenting with coconut and chocolate covered strawberries. Here's what I came up with. It's so so yummy.

You will need:

◆Fresh strawberries (however many you want)
◆Melting chocolate (I use milk chocolate chips. Half a bag will cover about 30 strawberries, give er take)
◆Coconut oil
◆Wax paper
◆Cookie sheet
◆Glass bowl for melting

1. Wash, dry, and chill fresh strawberries. Air dry works best, I've found, but in a time crunch a paper towel pressed lightly around the outside of a wet strawberry works well enough for the chocolate to stick. And they don't have to be cold, but it helps the choclate set up quicker, so I definitely recommend chilled. Leave the stems on. Makes them prettier and gives you something to grip while you dip.

2. Put the chocolate in the glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat a few times. 30 seconds, stir, 30 seconds stir, until it stirs out smooth. Usually after 3 times for me. (I don't recommend any longer than 30 seconds. I've had burned chocolate on my hands.)

3. For half a bag of chocolate chips, I use a pretty heaping spoonful of coconut oil. (Regular eating spoon). Add coconut oil to melted chocolate and stir until oil is all melted. Your chocolate will thin a little.

4. Dip strawberries into chocolate mixture, and place on a wax papered cookie sheet. If you use chilled strawberries then the first ones dipped will be pretty much set up by the time the last ones are dipped.

Other tips:
If you want a fun textured chocolate layer, add toasted coconut into the chocolate mix before you dip. The picture shows the coconut on the outside which is what I tried first, but it kind of hurts your mouth to eat. So stir it into the chocolate. That worked much better. 

I recommend eating them within 48 hours. They're best the sooner you eat them.

They make GREAT treats for friends. They're so easy and yet kind of a delicacy.

No comments: